Thursday, March 10, 2011

Fabric Book Journey Continues...



I have been working on a new fabric book. A few months ago I made a fabric book for a Longfellow poem (you can see it here) and realized I needed to work out a better way for the binding. Thanks to Anni at Fabric Art I ordered Pam Sussman's book and it has been so helpful! I started out with the most simple (looking) type of book and started construction. For the most part it turned out nicely but I should have made the cover larger to fit in all my intended pages. Serves me right for not actually measuring and following instructions!


I added on some ribbons, lace, bling, and stitches.

Made some pockets for a couple pages.


My friend Deborah had a good idea for using a fabric book to pin in embroidery projects while they await their fate. I threw in a sketchbook too. I thought this book may work nicely for a travel companion of embroidery and art. It'll keep it all together.






I was really happy with this embroidered girl. She might need a jewel for her neck and I haven't decided what type of closure to use. I already have some more covers started and I'm ready to play around with more types of fabric books. I also saw that Lovey at Fabric Photo Memories has a new book on sale. Oooh, add it to the pile!!

Thankfully, I have a 3 day weekend with my sewing machine!

6 comments:

craftattack said...

A great idea, and it must be really exciting working on it and seeing how it evolves. Hugs, Valerie

dosfishes said...

I like your travelling embroidery book, great idea. Lovey's worj is quite amazing. Keep going on this girl, she is perfect for a Longfellow poem. xox Corrine

Sandy said...

It's wonderful. I just want to touch it and keep looking at it. Thanks for commenting on my blog.

Donna, Doni, Lady D said...

How incredibly unique and beautiful with your own art work on the cover! I'm soooo impressed. It's gorgeous, Katie.

Joanna said...

Sh's lovely - her hair style is so cool! Love all the layers and the colours are
super.

x

Fabric Art said...

Katie your fabric book will be a beautiful piece of art with you embroidered pages, making fabric books are a wonderful thing, but it takes a long time because there are so many things to think about.
Anni