Sunday, February 26, 2012

Encaustic Day

I have had a wonderful day attending an encaustic class with Serena Barton here in Olympia, WA. There is a new art studio here called Queen Bee Art Cottage--- it is a fabulous old farm house made into an art retreat destination! They prepared a lovely panini and fresh fruit lunch, which was much needed in a 7 hour day of painting. I met a lot of great ladies and ended up finishing 6 paintings. Here are a few of them. Some...well, they really don't need to displayed publically! ha!

The lettering is collaged on and edged with goldleaf.

The butterflies are photo transfers. We learned all kinds of techniques!





This one was made using a pretty Paris scene that was the packaging on a bar of soap. I'm still deciding if I love it. I think it has a feel of looking out a window onto the street.



Maybe I'll post a couple more in the future. And, I will definately be playing with my encaustic stuff more now. XO

10 comments:

Unknown said...

oh Katie .. you did have a wonderful day. I love your work - it does lead you to wanting to play with wax more. I really like your Paris soap wrapper and agreed - it does look like a street scene from inside a window. Have fun - looking forward to seeing more. xodonna

Linda Kittmer said...

Beautiful work Katie. I love the Paris piece and yes, it really does make you feel like you're looking out a window. I also love the tulips, complete with the bulbs! I must try encaustic some time. It looks like it would be a fun process.

Anonymous said...

These are totally cook Katie, lucky you working with Serena Barton!!!! Now felt and wax????? Imagine the possibilities. xox Corrine

Joanna said...

Such a brilliant day - 6 paintings??!! Wow, there's a lot packed in too. Thank you for showing us what you created, they're really interesting. The textures and colours achieved are really unusual.

xx

jocelyn said...

HI. Thanks for visiting Zendoll! The results of your encaustic class are amazing! That's a workshop I would attend in a heartbeat! Bravo!

Gaby Bee said...

WOW, absolutely stunning, Katie!!! I'm looking forward to seeing more:)

Wishing you a wonderful, art-filled week!

Gaby xo

Emma said...

wonderful, I want some of these butterflies fluttering around, yours are lovely.

Penny said...

I have a friend who also just completed an encaustic class. The results are amazing. I love the softness that the wax gives everything.

Mail Art Dramas said...

WOW!!!! they are so dreamy.
what a cool class.
xxox, jill

My Creative House said...

Dear Katie looks like you've had a great day, always nice with a course and learn new techniques, your paintings are all beautifully made.
Hugs Anni