Sunday, September 18, 2011

Fiber Adventures

I have just returned from a three day fiber adventure in La Conner, WA and Whidbey Island.
First stop on Thursday: LaConner Quilt Museum
The museum is in a beautiful, old house from the 1800s. The shows were lovely.  I bought these beautiful hand marbled fabrics by Suzi Soderlund of Washington. I am going to let them be the inspiration for an art quilt or fabric book page.


Friday, I explored Whidbey Island's quaint little towns and shops, and of course, bakeries. Coupeville and Langley were favorites for strolling downtown and by the water.
Heading over Highway 20 each day I crossed the bridge at Deception Pass- a truly amazing view. There are pullouts to park and walk across it, and also stairs that lead down below the bridge.


Saturday was my big day I had been looking forward to- the Whidbey Island Fabulous Fall Fiber Sale!
It did not dissapoint!
It is held at Paradise Found farm in Clinton. There were wonderful, friendly vendors, and all kinds of goodies! Wool, yarns, spinning wheels, hand dyed roving, silks, gifts and hats and mittens, and so on!
I was thrilled when Barbara from BJS Fiber Creations took the time to teach me how to spin yarn with a drop spindle. I am hooked! I don't knit, but I like the idea of using my own yarns in art quilts and for embroidered pieces. 

My new toy!

And here is some of Barbara's fiber and yarn...oooooh, this makes me want to knit!


Barbara's wool!


I also met Tara from Rain City Fiber Arts. She does some amazing hand dyed wool and yarn spinning in Snohomish, WA. And she took the time to tell me all about her spinning wheel...which I someday may be buying. (First, stick with drop spindle!) Here are some of Tara's beautiful fibers...



And, I couldn't leave without a couple new books too. One for more felting ideas, and one to try my hand at natural dyes.

Looks like I am going to be busy spinning yarn and felting this fall!







7 comments:

John the Mailman said...

Wow, Katie!

This looks like a great adventure. There's nothing quite like discovering new things that excite you, are there?

Looking forward to what's next.

Valerie-Jael said...

Looks like you had a great time! Those fibers and materials are wonderful. Looking forward to seeing what you create with them! Valerie

Unknown said...

Oh Katie! You did have a wonderful trip didn't you. All your photographs are making me drool. Some wonderful projects ahead for the winter. hugs, Donna

Anonymous said...

Wow, great trip, thanks for sharing those wonderful yarns - a new spinning toy, oh we will be seeing new things from you!!!! Looking forward to it all. xox Corrine

Barbara said...

Seems I've heard of Whidbey Island before, perhaps on Robin Atkins' Beadlust blog? I just went and looked, here is one post about it:
http://beadlust.blogspot.com/2009_11_01_archive.html
You had a wonderful day, I can tell, would love to stroll around there myself! Learning to spin must have been great fun, perhaps you will knit one day! I'll be watching for some more felting from you, great fun trying it myself. Not ready to share yet, but close. ;)

Penny said...

How fun!! I love fiber shows and always, always come away with a treasure. I'm not a knitter nor do I crochet but I love yarns and use them in my work as accents. Sometimes they just sit here where I can admire their color and texture.

Joanna said...

What a brilliant adventure! And all those gorgeous yarns and fabrics - perfect for you. The spinning thing looks interesting.

x